…with your home.
Spring is in the air (Well, not in Minnesota. But I can pretend); what better time to refresh, brighten, and fall in love with your home again? Whether you have an apartment, condo, townhouse, or house; you likely chose it for a reason. It’s time to clear the cobwebs and clutter and revive the charm that makes you feel at home.
Now, I’m all about spring cleaning; however, rattling off a detailed list of the nooks and crannies I hope to clean but probably won’t is not my goal today.
Real life: ain’t nobody got time for that.
As a wife, mother, nanny, and homemaker, I just don’t have time to deep clean and organize the entire house in one fell swoop. My guess? Neither do you.
I’m not about to just let my house go, though. I’m so excited for the feeling of newness that spring brings! There are several easy and inexpensive ways to bring the freshness of spring air into your home (Even when the forecast doesn’t. Not that I’m bitter, or anything).
- Open a window. In fact, open all of them. Let the breeze (even if it is still a bit cool) waft through your home. It seems like such a “duh” suggestion, but that fresh air will lift the mustiness of winter and brighten every room instantly.
- Buy fresh flowers. I don’t exactly have a green thumb. At all. I think I’ve actually killed fake plants. Don’t ask me how. So I don’t like to spend a lot of money on things that I’m just going to kill overnight. But I LOVE bouquets from Trader Joes. They’re inexpensive, typically look exotic, and last a reasonable amount of time. Live plants or flowers add a certain warmth, beauty, and feeling of happiness to a room that ONLY life can add. It’s so simple. And you won’t regret it. *pictured bouquet not from TJ’s. Just a sweet husband 😉
- Fake plants. We have a vase on our mantle that we like to add a seasonal flair to. I like to use Michaels 50% off coupon to buy those overpriced fake flower branches for that purpose. Our “spring” branch is probably my favorite and it somehow makes me feel like I decorated my living room for spring. With minimal effort, of course.
- Update The Linens. Our guest room typically has a soft gray comforter on the bed. In the lightness of spring, we switched it to white. I picked up a basic down-alternative white comforter at Target for less than $30. This simple switch made the entire room look cleaner, fresher, spring-ier. When in doubt, WHITE.
- Just choose one. One chore; one task you don’t do on a weekly basis. Spring cleaning can be hard to find the motivation for because it’s such a large undertaking. Maybe you’ll clear out and organize your junk drawer. Perhaps you’ll get rid of that box that has moved with you from your parent’s house, to college, to apartment, to house, yet you’ve never unpacked it. You could grab a towel and wipe down all your windows (let that sunshine in!). *Side note: I love the minty smell of Method glass and surface cleaner!
Now: take a deep breath… And enjoy the freshness of spring. Summer will be here before we know it!!
Leave a Reply