Her best friend was nearing her due date, and she wanted to put together a care package to bring with her when she visited the hospital.
First of all- can we just take a moment to applaud this sweet gesture?! Everyone is so excited about the baby (rightfully so), and often times bring gifts to the newborn. These are, of course, always appreciated; but the new mom should be celebrated as well! Nine months of pregnancy, hours or days in labor, not to mention several weeks of recovery and sleep deprivation are tough on anyone.
I compiled two lists of suggestions for her; one with practical must-haves for recovery, and one with items that are just nice to have.
- Always overnight maxi pads (purple kind) (not store brand- these do not stick to stitches)
- Witch hazel wipes
- Epsom salt for sitz baths
- Miralax or similar for when stool softeners aren’t enough
- Large hand sanitizer for visitors since its that time of year 😉
- Flushable wipes (for when the peri-bottle isn’t enough and if toilet paper is too rough)
- Motherlove nipple cream (safe for baby to ingest and works GREAT)
- Disposable breast pads (I swear by lanisoh brand)
Nice To Have:
- Snacks/trail mix for middle of the night nursing hunger (someone did this for me and it was super helpful!)
- Fiber bars
- Refreshing face mask or other means of pampering
- Dry shampoo
- Large water bottle to keep up on hydrating
- Notebook to track postpartum medications, feedings, diapers etc
- Splurge item: Belly Bandit. Helps to shrink down BUT more importantly makes you feel less like you’re falling apart when all your ligaments are loose in waist and hips.
Who do you know that would love a recovery care package? Go out and bless them!