First, let me apologize. I should have taken way more photos when I was making these, and I just didn’t. My bad, everyone!! Luckily I did take a few. So work with me.
Sometimes I make things for my kid’s rooms. Not necessarily because I can’t just buy what I want, but because I enjoy making things that are unique and special for my sweet babes.
For whatever reason, canvas art has been one of those things that I make for both kids. This particular idea was an experiment; and quite honestly I wasn’t sure if they would turn out. Thankfully, however, they turned out better than I imagined! Don’t you love when that happens?
What you’ll need:
- A canvas
- Painters tape
- Sponge brush or regular paint brush
- A pattern or photo
- Parchment paper
- Decide what you want your image(s) to be. The less detail, the better. I freehand drew mine off of several google shadow images to use as inspiration, but you can certainly print something off and cut it out.
- Line your parchment paper with painters tape, overlapping each strip (you want to be able to trace your image onto the tape).
- Trace your image onto the tape, and then cut out.
- Now you’ve essentially made your own “sticker”. Remove parchment paper backing, and adhere your painters tape shape to your canvas.
- Apply paint in random pattern. I went with a swirly effect. No need to be perfect; I love how mine turned out distressed looking!
- Allow to dry for about an hour, then peel away tape.
- Let dry overnight before hanging.
If you decide to try this DIY project, I’d love to see your results!